Saturday, July 2, 2011

52. Read 10 of the top 100 novels

1) Alice in Wonderland - Wikipedia says that this book is one of the best examples of a "literary nonsense novel."  I would say that is true.  The entire time I read this book I wondered why it was such a classic.  Had I known from the beginning that it was nonsense it would have been a much easier read.  I don't even know the real plot of the story.  I'm going to watch one of the movies soon just to try to see someone else's interpretation of the story to try to make sense of it.
 
2) To Kill a Mockingbird -  This is a classic that I watched the movie for but never read.  Back in college I assumed that just watching the movie meant that I had read the book.  After being disappointed by how much was left out of the Harry Potter movies I realize how much better the books can be.  This was true for this book/movie as well.  It is always interesting to look into a historical fiction book and see how things used to be.  Although I think I would have fit in better being born a couple generations ago, I am glad I wasn't around when racial issues were as they were back in the first half of the 1900s.

3) The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - I remember hearing my second grade teacher read this book to us, but I haven't picked up the book to read.  I have to say it is almost exactly the same as the BBC's version of the movie.

4) Winnie the Pooh - When I told my students I was reading this book they all laughed at me.  They thought it was a baby book.  It is a legit chapter book, but far from a novel.  It is just a book written about a typical week or month in the world of Winnie the Pooh.

5) A Christmas Carol - I knew the idea of the story as I have seen the adapted play a few times.  Most notably when my Dad performed it on my first date out with Melissa.  Very memorable indeed!  In reading about the historical significance of the book, it shares that it had a big impact on bringing back the importance of Christmas as a time of gathering for families.  I thought that was pretty interesting.  Back in the mid/late 1800s the idea of celebrating Christmas in Great Britain and the US was dwindling quite a bit and the popularity of the book helped to get the bah humbugs out of many to begin celebrating the holiday again.

6) Little Women - I started this book in November and finished it in February.  It is a good story, just really, really long.  Now to watch the movie.  I actually read this book because Melissa often talked about how much she loved the story.  The sad part is that when I finished I found out that she had never read the book, and that she had only seen the movie.  She's got some reading to do!

7) The Jungle Book -I made it about a third of the way into the book and realized that the book wasn't just about Mowgli living in the jungle with Baloo and Bagheera.  There are six different stories about animals out in the wild and adventures of things that happen to them.  I was actually a little sad that the book wasn't only about the Disney version of the Jungle Book.  That was a great story!  Mowgli goes up against Shere Khan.  Only one can stay in the jungle and the other must die.  That's great stuff!  I did pick the movie up from the library to watch with the kids.  The movie stinks!  Aside from the song, "Bear Necessities," there isn't anything too memorable or exciting.  Shere Khan isn't even a major part of the movie.  I was disappointed to say the least.

8) Oliver Twist

No comments: